About 406SQN

Who Are We

406 Squadron was first formed as No. 6 Flight Air Training Corps on the 19th November 1945, by the amalgation of No. 5 and No. 15 Squadrons. On the 4th of September 1947, 6 Flight was conferred to the Christian Brothers College.

On the 23rd of February 1950, the flight was disbanded at the Christian Brothers College, and was raised again on the 27th Feb. 1950 at Essendon Technical School. It continued to operate for another 6 years before it was again disbanded.

In 1971, 6 Flight was re-raised at Frankston High School, but soon after moved to the Artillery Drill Hall at Railway Parade in Frankston. When the 23rd Field Battery Regiment moved to it’s new premises in Robinsons Road, Baxter, accomodation was made for the flight. No. 6 Flight was also the first flight to have a female Flight Commander – FLTLT(AIRTC) Ethne Rodgers. 6 Flight closed down as an Air Training Corps flight on 30/09/1996.

On 12 Jun 2001, twenty cadets were enrolled under 18 Flight TYABB for an interim period. These cadets were to form the initial reforming of 6 Flight – Frankston. As the Frankston Flight had not been set up at this stage they were enrolled under 18 Flight. On 01 June 2002, 406 Squadron was accredited as an operational squadron and the twenty cadets who were enrolled under 18 Flight were transferred to 406 Squadron. The squadron was initially set up with an establishment of 30 Cadets.

On 09 May 2007, 418 Squadron moved from its location at HMAS Cerberus and joined with 406 Squadron at Frankston. Both squadrons paraded together on a Wednesday evening at Frankston. The amalgamation of both squadrons became official on 31 Dec 2008 and 418 squadron ceased to exist with all staff and cadets been transferred to 406 Squadron.

The squadron presently has an strength of 90 Cadets and 6 uniform staff and 1 civilian staff. In 2018 we are hoping to increase our cadet establishment to over 100 cadets.

406SQN Staff

Training Officer

LAC(AAFC) Thomas Webb


Tom has come to 406SQN back in 2015 following a short absence from his time as a cadet. He has recently joined our ranks in uniform and is currently studying to become a pilot.

Tom has recently taken on the role of Training Officer for the squadron, and also enjoys helping out at squadron activities such as fundraising and bivouacs.

Administration Officer

LAC(AAFC) Michael Wild


Michael comes to 406SQN in 2017 as a recently appointed staff member, and former Cadet Flight Sergeant, and will take on the role of Administration Officer..

Cadet Staff

Cadet Executive Officer

Cadet Under Officer

Franco Aucamp


The History of 406SQN

  • 19th November 1945

    406 Squadron was first formed as No. 6 Flight Air Training Corps, by the amalgamation of No. 5 and No. 15 Squadrons.
  • 4th September 1947

    No. 6 Flight was conferred to the Christian Brothers College.
  • 23rd February 1950

    No. 6 Flight disbanded at the Christian Brothers College.
  • 27th February 1950

    No. 6 Flight raised at Essendon Technical School. It continued to operate for another 6 years before it was again disbanded.
  • 1971

    No. 6 Flight was re-raised at Frankston High School, but soon after moved to the Artillery Drill Hall at Railway Parade in Frankston. When the 23rd Field Battery Regiment moved to it's new premises in Robinsons Road, Baxter, accommodation was made for the flight. No. 6 Flight was also the first flight to have a female Flight Commander - FLTLT(AIRTC) Ethne Rodgers.
  • 30th September 1996

    No. 6 Flight closed down as an Air Training Corps flight.
  • 12th June 2001

    Twenty cadets were enrolled under 18 Flight TYABB for an interim period. These cadets were to form the initial reforming of 6 Flight – Frankston. As the Frankston Flight had not been set up at this stage they were enrolled under 18 Flight.
  • 1st June 2002

    406 Squadron accredited as an operational squadron and the twenty cadets who were enrolled under 18 Flight were transferred to 406 Squadron. The squadron was initially set up with an establishment of 30 Cadets.
  • 9th May 2007

    418 Squadron moved from its location at HMAS Cerberus and joined with 406 Squadron at Frankston. Both squadrons have since paraded together on a Wednesday evening at Frankston.
  • 31st December 2008

    The amalgamation of both squadrons becomes official on 31 Dec 2008 and 418 squadron ceased to exist with all staff and cadets transferred to 406 Squadron.